How to Build a Newsletter Company From Scratch as a 20 Year Old - Amanda Cua from BackScoop
Amanda Cua is the Founder and CEO of BackScoop, a free daily newsletter that makes it fun and easy to stay informed with everything Southeast Asian business and startups
We hope you enjoy our entrepreneur podcast! To help us grow, please subscribe to our podcast and follow us on TikTok, YouTube, Instagram, Facebook and/or LinkedIn. It’s the best way we can keep bringing in quality guests.
WE SPEAK TO: Amanda Cua
Amanda Cua is the Founder and CEO of BackScoop, a free daily newsletter that makes it fun and easy to stay informed with everything Southeast Asian business and startups. Launched late last year, BackScoop is read by thousands of SEA’s top founders, execs, VCs and startup operators. Born and raised in the Philippines, Amanda is 20 years old and was also previously the first employee at YC-backed edtech Avion School.
Special thanks to the crew at Winesmiths
- David: Winesmiths Organic Chardonnay
- Terng: Winesmiths Organic Cabernet Sauvignon NV
- Amanda: Remedy Peach Kombucha
WE CHAT ABOUT:
- The start of Backscoop
- Why was the newsletter the one thing you want to jump in
- How do you plan to sustain the growth of the company with a limited budget?
- How were you able to handle the fact no one else was doing the work for Backscoop at that point?
- The role that Linkedin has played towards the growth of Backscoop
- Tips on growing Linkedin and building a strong community
- What kind of posts do well on Linkedin?
- Most unique entrepreneur mindset ever encountered
- Key business lessons learnt
- Introduction to Backscoop
- Visit our entrepreneur podcast website for more
GUEST’S BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS:
- The Lean Startup by Eric Ries
- Mindset by Carol Dweck
- Young China by Zac Dychtwald
- Visit our book recommendations section for more books from our guests
KEEP IN TOUCH WITH AMANDA
- Listeners get 10% of David’s hilarious new book, Everyday A**holes, using the promo code BOD at checkout. Get a copy at everydayassholes.net.
- Listeners get a free 30-minute consultation with Terng’s company, SYNC PR. Just mention this podcast when contacting them at syncpr.co
- Looking to up your email game? Try Moosend.
- Interested in making your own podcast? Use this link to sign up to Buzzsprout and we all get a $20 Amazon gift card when you upgrade.
(reminder: drink responsibly)
If you want to see us...
Grab a deal
Up your email marketing game with Moosend, just use our link and sign up for a forever free plan. Yes, it’s free forever.
Create amazing landing pages, engage your users easily and do much more. This offer is available to Business over Drinks listeners, so click on the link above and get started.
We’ve got an amazing Fiverr offer for you. Click our link and sign up to Fiverr for the most affordable freelance support from around the world. Do you like our intro? Well, thanks to Fiverr, we found an amazing musician from Europe who laid down the track and recorded it for us within 48 hours.