The Power of Asking For What You Want and What It’s Like to Work in China: Nicolas Chan, Head of Digital, APAC, The Hoffman Agency
Nic is the Head of Digital, APAC, The Hoffman Agency
We hope you enjoy our entrepreneur podcast! To help us grow, please subscribe to our podcast and follow us on TikTok, YouTube, Instagram, Facebook and/or LinkedIn. It’s the best way we can keep bringing in quality guests.
Welcome to Business Over Drinks, one of the most unique podcasts you will find anywhere in the world helmed by two people from different walks of life.
This entrepreneur podcast is an extension of their real-life experiences as business owners, salaried employees and industry mavericks who made mistakes along the way and lived to talk about it.
WE SPEAK TO: Nicolas Chan
Nicolas is the Head of Digital APAC at The Hoffman Agency: a leading, award-winning global PR agency. He spent more than half of his marcomms adventure in Shanghai and was also running the Hoffman’s HK office briefly. He’s now based in Singapore. He considers me to be one of his oldest friends in the industry, which is not saying much given that he has no other friends in the industry.
WE CHAT ABOUT:
- Drinking culture in the marketing industry
- What it’s like to win prestigious PR awards: PRovoke and CampaignAsia awards
- Congrats on the PRovoke and CampaignAsia awards? Has that changed your life.
- How to make it up the corporate ladder quickly
- Asking for what you want
- What it’s like to work in China
- User experience of Taobao and Amazon
- Is government intervention on private companies a myth?
- Sovereign wealth funds
- The problem of turnover in PR, advertising, marketing and comms agencies
- Is English still relevant for South East Asian marketing?
- Nic’s biggest career regret
- Moving up in the corporate world
- What makes a good boss
- The struggles of agency life
GUEST’S BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS:
- Get a FREE audiobook and support our show by signing up to a free Audible trial here: https://www.audible.com.au/bod011-20
- Check out amazing (and collector’s) selections of gin and whiskey from Gin Loot and Whiskey Loot :https://whiskyloot.com/?rfsn=5301500.ece0af&utm_source=refersion&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=5301500.ece0af
- Listeners get 10% of David’s hilarious new book, Everyday A**holes, using the promo code BOD at checkout. Get a copy at everydayassholes.net.
- Listeners get a free 30-minute consultation with Terng’s company, SYNC PR. Just mention this podcast when contacting them at syncpr.co
- Looking to up your email game? Try Moosend.
- Interested in making your own podcast? Use this link to sign up to Buzzsprout and we all get a $20 Amazon gift card when you upgrade.
FOLLOW BUSINESS OVER DRINKS:
- TIKTOK: https://www.tiktok.com/@businessoverdrinks
- INSTAGRAM: https://www.instagram.com/businessoverdrinks/
- LINKEDIN: https://www.linkedin.com/company/business-over-drinks
- FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/businessoverdrinks/
- WEB: https://www.businessoverdrinks.com/
- YOUTUBE: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx-s2TNu_21TNDSMJtP87eQ
- PODCASTS: Search ‘Business Over Drinks’ on your favourite podcast player
(reminder: drink responsibly)
If you want to see us...
Grab a deal
Up your email marketing game with Moosend, just use our link and sign up for a forever free plan. Yes, it’s free forever.
Create amazing landing pages, engage your users easily and do much more. This offer is available to Business over Drinks listeners, so click on the link above and get started.
We’ve got an amazing Fiverr offer for you. Click our link and sign up to Fiverr for the most affordable freelance support from around the world. Do you like our intro? Well, thanks to Fiverr, we found an amazing musician from Europe who laid down the track and recorded it for us within 48 hours.