Aussies Changing the Entire Snowboarding Industry - Robert Joseph, Anti Ordinary
Co-founder of Anti Ordinary, a revolutionary head protection gear brand
We hope you enjoy our entrepreneur podcast! To help us grow, please subscribe to our podcast and follow us on YouTube, Instagram, Facebook and/or LinkedIn. It’s the best way we can keep bringing in quality guests.
Welcome to Business Over Drinks, one of the most unique podcasts you will find anywhere in the world helmed by two people from different walks of life.
The podcast is an extension of their real-life experiences as business owners, salaried employees and industry mavericks who made mistakes along the way and lived to talk about it.
WE SPEAK TO: Robert Joseph
Rob is a Queensland born and bred startup founder. Spending most of his younger years playing any sport he could get his hands on, he found his own path in action sports. Initially, dirt bikes, moving on to mountain bikes and then a stint competing at cable wakeboarding, he found his true sporting love of snowboarding late in life at age 17.
When not chasing adrenaline, he’d spend most of his time tinkering. After school, he started an undergrad in Medical Engineering, with the hope to combine his love of sport and engineering into some form of career. Originally eyeing off prosthetics for sport, his attention turned to brain protection after experiencing first-hand the pain points of brain protection in action sports. After a look around, he realised there wasn’t really anything interesting or progressive happening in brain protection, so he teamed up with his co-founder Brodie to change the way we protect brains across all categories, starting in the unlikely market of Snowsports.
Rob is the co-founder of Anti-Ordinary. A company that is aiming to revolutionise snow sports, starting with super protective headgear with the twist of it looking exactly like a beanie. But we’ll find out more about that soon.
- David: Fistful Shiraz
- Terng: Suntory -196℃ 日向夏
- Rob: Stone & Wood Pacific Ale
WE CHAT ABOUT:
- The Anti-Ordinary Journey: How it began, where it’s going and status updates
- Anti-Ordinary vs the Big Name Competitors
- On building the product and what it’s like
- What it’s like working with a China team
- Tips on cash flow
- The serendipitous meeting between Rob and their first investor: Matt
- Crazy shenanigans and tests done during pitches
- Why founders should just brawl it out
- Why kickstarters aren’t what you think they are
- The importance of finding the right partners
Guest Book Recommendations:
- Shoe Dog by Phil Knight
- The Search (actually The Rip Curl Story: 50 years of perfect surf, international business, wild characters and the search for the ultimate ride)
- Any book on Keith Harring- Here’s our pick (Keith Harring Journals)!
- Deskimo will offer listeners of the podcast a Deskimo voucher for $8 off their first stay using the code DRINKS8. Download the Deskimo app here https://deskimo.me/now
- Listeners get 10% of David’s hilarious new book, Everyday A**holes, using the promo code BOD at checkout. Get a copy at everydayassholes.net.
- Listeners get a free 30-minute consultation with Terng’s company, SYNC PR. Just mention this podcast when contacting them at syncpr.co
- Interested in making your own podcast? Use this link to sign up to Buzzsprout and we all get a $20 Amazon gift card when you upgrade.
FOLLOW BUSINESS OVER DRINKS:
- FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/businessoverdrinks/
- LINKEDIN: https://www.linkedin.com/company/business-over-drinks
- WEB: https://www.businessoverdrinks.com/
- INSTAGRAM: https://www.instagram.com/businessoverdrinks/
- YOUTUBE: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx-s2TNu_21TNDSMJtP87eQ
- PODCASTS: Search ‘Business Over Drinks’ on Spotify or Apple Podcasts
(reminder: drink responsibly)
If you want to see us...
Grab a deal
Dot Yeti offers affordable unlimited design for your brand or even personal project for as low as USD 399 per month… Just click on our Dot Yeti link to get started and get all your graphic design (design, video editing, graphics and more) sorted out by a team of professionals.
Up your email marketing game with Moosend, just use our link and sign up for a forever free plan. Yes, it’s free forever.
Create amazing landing pages, engage your users easily and do much more. This offer is available to Business over Drinks listeners, so click on the link above and get started.
We’ve got an amazing Fiverr offer for you. Click our link and sign up to Fiverr for the most affordable freelance support from around the world. Do you like our intro? Well, thanks to Fiverr, we found an amazing musician from Europe who laid down the track and recorded it for us within 48 hours.
Get a FREE audiobook and support our show by signing up for a free Audible trial here. Check out our book recommendations if you want to get inspired.
Listeners get 20% off Protein Supplies Australia, Botanika Blends and Flexible Foods products. Simply use the promo code at checkout.
The great folks at Whiskey Loot are offering our listeners great pricing on their whiskey subscriptions. Click here for more information. (You can also listen to this episode as to why this subscription is so great).