Welcome to Business Over Drinks, one of the most unique podcasts you will find anywhere in the world helmed by two people from different walks of life.
The podcast is an extension of their real-life experiences as business owners, salaried employees and industry mavericks, who made mistakes along the way and lived to talk about it.
ABOUT OUR GUEST, AMANDA TAN
Amanda Tan is a filmmaker based in Singapore.
Amanda’s storytelling work has led her to collaborate with agencies like DDB Singapore, MRM Wordwide and Ogilvy Social as well as brands like McDonalds, Uber, Nescafe Dolce Gusto, AIA, Microsoft, Unilever and Diageo Asia Pacific. With an understanding of pop and alternative culture, she is able to create mainstream work that still appeals to the masses, as well as those to the left of center.
Her music videos and short films have been screened and nominated for awards at various film festivals, including the Berlin Short Film Festival, NYC Indie Film Awards, Singapore Short Film Festival, Salento International Film Festival in Italy and Singapore Short Film Awards. Amanda was also an executive producer on the Berlinale Silver Bear award winning acclaimed film, Hele sa Hiwagang Hapis.
We discuss stuff such as:
- Dave’s book, Everyday A**holes
- Surviving as a ‘creative’ in an Asian family
- Does Singapore give artists grant money / support artists?
- Sending Terng abuse
- Working on Crazy Rich Asians
- Starting your career as a filmmaker in Singapore
- Chinese Privilege
- Ultra Music Festival
- Zouk Out
- Maintaining your values as a “starving artist”
- Straits Time article about artists and non-essential jobs
- The 5 Cs
- Will money make you happy?
- Prescription drugs
- The definition of sexiness
- Male and female views on beauty
- Is brunch real?
- Bacon and eggs
- TikTok artists
- Grapes of Wrath
- Making it as a filmmaker
- Amanda’s website
- Amanda’s Instagram
TODAY WE’RE DRINKING
- Absolut Vodka with Solo
- Red wine spritzers (with unnamed wine)
- Laphroaig Single Malt Whisky
ABOUT YOUR HOSTS
Terng Shing has his own PR and content agency based in Singapore. He tries not to be defined by his job, but gave up and has leaned into it pretty heavily.
When he’s not working or conducting business over drinks, he is recording an episode for Business Over Drinks.
Learn more about his company SYNC and what they’ve been doing for the startup community in Southeast Asia. He also has another venture with a business partner in the travel industry, called Travel Wanderlust.
Connect with him on LinkedIn
David Bobis is an author who has written a few works under both his real name and pen name, Dean Blake. He has just released a book of illustrations, Everyday A**holes.
David was also the Head of Digital Marketing and Partner of Studio Culture – a leading digital marketing agency in Australia, before exiting to work on his books and private consultancy.
David is a finalist of multiple awards, such as the Telstra Business Award, the Lord Mayor’s Multicultural Business Award, The Optus Business Award, the Brisbane Business News Young Entrepreneur’s Award, a Melbourne Age Short Story Award, a John Marsden Short Story Award and a Brisbane State Library Short Story Award.
FOLLOW BUSINESS OVER DRINKS:
- FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/businessoverdrinks/
- LINKEDIN: https://www.linkedin.com/company/business-over-drinks
- WEB: https://www.businessoverdrinks.com/
- YOUTUBE: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx-s2TNu_21TNDSMJtP87eQ
- PODCASTS: Search ‘Business Over Drinks’ on Spotify or Apple Podcasts
This podcast was created with Buzzsprout. Interested in making your own podcast? Use this link to sign up and we all get a $20 Amazon gift card when you upgrade.